Introduce Yourself! A little about yourselves

Hi guys,

My name is Simon Baker, I am a Technical Artist at Weta Workshop in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have been working on the VFX for a game called ‘Dr Grordbort’s Invaders’ over the last year and a half.
This is my first gig in the games industry, previously I was working in film VFX in the effects department at Weta Digital.
Really nice to see such a concentration of talent here and I am looking forward to sharing in the knowledge.

Cheers
S

5 Likes

Hello indeed,

Renzell Singleton, currently a student in Full Sail University and will be graduating soon. my primary focus is Animation, but I do like the VFX community quite a lot. hopefully I get the chance to take part of this community of VFX artists from different companies and soon find a job to be able to work side by side you guys.

5 Likes

Hi, Michael Barquero here, loooove the site. There’s a place for modeling/2d-art/cg-stuff in general, but was so hard pressed to find a place with very eager awesome particle magicians.

Looking forward to learning new tips & tricks!

4 Likes

Super happy and proud to be part of this community!

I’m a student in Animation & Game at Darmstadt, Germany. I’m here to learn, inspire and contact with all the talented users around here.
lets keep it up :slight_smile:

-Ohad

For further info about me:
www.twitter.com/ohadgfx
www.linkedin.com/in/ohadgfx

2 Likes

Hi! I am christine (sometimes tina) work at fxville. been in the industry for awhile now (and i see some familiar names here- hi ya’ll!)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/christine-hottovy-a4997a14

6 Likes

sound awesome to me! I`m glad to hear that.

1 Like

Hi to those that know me and to those who don’t know me. I’m known as “the old man”. I’m the Atari boy who sadly yells at Nintendo boys to get off his lawn. I’ve been working in the Video Game industry since 1989 but doing VFX since 1999 when I did them for Tachyon: The Rift. After working on Jak & Daxter and Uncharted for Naughty Dog I went to some small startup called Riot to work on this League of Legends thing they had going. Now that they seem to be getting off the ground I am at Firaxis because I found out I could make VFX and play Civ and get paid for it. It’s been really cool seeing this profession take off from sitting in a programmer’s office all day hard-coding all the effects into the game to writing and designing real time VFX tools because they didn’t exist to seeing the day come on League of Legends where we could actually bring in a SECOND person to do VFX and go from doing everything myself to actually being part of a TEAM (how big is the FX team up to at Riot now, Jason?) . Teams are where it’s at now. I never really did anything alone anyway. I had @akira3d helping me big-time at Naughty Dog (especially when we went to the PS3 and everything had to be done on one sprite using shaders) and I have @Arthur_Gould now at Firaxis (getting to work with the 2 best technical artists in the industry really spoils a guy). I’d like to thank Jason for asking me to be involved in this site. I love seeing this segment of the industry prosper the way it has. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Anyway, I’ll end this text wall by saying I will hang around the forums and help in any way that I can. I love that we can all spend our days trying to impress people by blowing the shit out of stuff :smile:

17 Likes

@Troyzilla So good to see you on here :^D Yah, the VFX team here has snowballed into a small sports team, built off of what you guys started back in the day. We still think of you every day! We have to, since the League of Legends VFX files extension is .troy (in spite of Troy’s many protests). ;^]

Glad to hear you’re loving life on the East Side!

3 Likes

Hi VFX people!

I have been in the games industry for nearly 7 years now. I was hired in to Blizzard right out of college to be a Tech Artist for Diablo III. Very shortly after that I discovered that my real passion was in VFX. I shipped Diablo III and Reaper of Souls as a combat FX artist and part time lighting/environment FX artist. When the opportunity to work on Overwatch presented itself I jumped at it. I was so fortunate to be in at the ground level of creating the visual FX style for Overwatch. I am still on that team creating Combat, Character an UI FX.

When I’m not at work, I indulge in my creativity by making costumes (sewing, armor, props… all of it!) and producing large scale creative photoshoots. It might not be working with pixels or digital art, but it really does fuel me creatively to be able to come in to work Monday morning with fresh ideas. :slight_smile:

Nice to meet those of you I haven’t met yet and to see so many familiar faces!

9 Likes

Hey all,

I’m a gamedev student from Finland, just started a VFX internship at Frozenbyte. Pretty exciting and new stuff happening past few weeks.

My background is kinda weird as I was initially specializing in sound design in my gamedev studies at uni, but just ended up doing VFX as someone was needed to create visual effects on this great project I was lucky to be involved with. Turned out VFX is a ton of fun, so I decided to stick with it. The sound design background has been pretty useful, gives good insight to timing and the relationship between the visual and audio part of a given effect.

You can find me on Twitter @tvaarani

4 Likes

Hey everyone!

My name is Kyle Valentin and I am a student at Laguna College of Art and Design.

I started out as a 3d environment artist but as soon as I realized I could get a job making magic I started to learn as much as I can. I graduate this December and I’m looking forward to joining the industry with all of you!

4 Likes

Woot! I’m Adam K and another member of the Riot VFX team.
I sincerely love scifi effects and swoon at any game with lasers and explosions.
I’ve been working in the industry since 2006 and at riot since 2014. I’ve made the vfx for several LoL Skins and hope I pleased one or two fans along the way. Here is the dump of Skins I got the pleasure of making all sparkly.

Dark Star Thresh
Program: Lissandra
High Noon Jhin
Zombie Slayer Jinx
Demon Vi
Project: Yi
Project: Fiora
Sandstorm Ekko
Forsaken Jayce
Risen Fiddlesticks
Headhunter Akali
Elderwood Bard
DJ Sona
Blood Moon Thresh
Championship Shyvana
Headhunter Caitlyn
PROJECT: Yasuo
Mecha Aatrox
Mecha Malphite
Dunkmaster Darius
Blade Queen Lissandra
Void Fizz
Super Galaxy Rumble
Arctic Ops Varus
Battlecast Vel’Koz

7 Likes

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

Can’t believe how many people are on here, this is awesome!

My name is Sarah Carmody and I’m an FX artist at Blizzard working on World of Warcraft. I set out to be a character animator for film, got my first job as an animator in the game industry, and then basically went with the flow and ended up in game FX. Best happy accident ever. Who doesn’t want to make magic, explosions, and sparkles as a career?

https://www.artstation.com/artist/sarahcarmody

Looking forward to watching this site grow! :sparkles:

10 Likes

Most of them are my favorite skins! Awesome to have you here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello Everybody!
My name is James Hill and I’ve been in the Industry for close to 9 years. I’m currently lone wolf’ing at FunBits Interactive as a FX/Technical Artist and my most recent release was Fat Princess Adventures for PS4. It was a wild romp of just about every kind of silly whimsical and bloody effect imaginable. Currently I’m delving into the wacky world of VR and Mobile VR . I’m happy to see a place where so much talent can share knowledge and I hope I can contribute too

3 Likes

Hi Folks,
I’m Matt Ontiveros. Currently I am a VFX Artist for Gazillion working on Marvel Heroes. I have been in the industry since the mid 90’s. Past studios I have worked are Z2, Signal Studios, Suckerpunch, Zipper (RIP), Griptonite(RIP) and EA Seattle(RIP)
Currently playing Overwatch and was just on the Battlefield 1 Beta. Occasionally hop on to play Dreadnaught.
Looking forward to being part of this community.
Thank you so much for hosting!
Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m Alex Underhill! I’m a VFX artist, & a brief stint as both technical & environment artist.

Was VFX Artist at Rocksteady Studios for a long time, now I’ve moved on to new things! I’ve moved over to the VR Realm at Kite&Lightning.

I also run http://facedownfx.com/ and develop VFX Software :+1:

13 Likes

Hello everyone,
Awesome VFX community!

My name is Wataru. I am in game industry 17 years (mostly in Japan). Currently I am a VFX Artist at DICE.

I’m working on Battlefield 1.
I worked on Resident Evil 2, Parasite Eve 2, Final Fantasy XI, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Lost Planet 2, Deep down, Resident Evil 7 and so on. And I have engaged in developing of in-house Game Engine as a tech artist at Capcom.
I love to make real-time VFX and saders! :smile:

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hey, I’ve got some Jiras if you’re out of things to do… :smiley: Glad to see you here!

2 Likes

Hey! Glad to see you here, too!!! :smile:
We beat them! There were formidable enemies. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes